Saturday, August 7, 2010

His name...

It's no secret that BASEBALL is a big deal around our house.
If you marry a BISHOP...you inevitably adopt a deep rooted love for the game.
It isn't just a fun hobby or talent for them...but much more.
It's Tradition.
---
Our offspring followed suit.
...and it is most definitely in his genes....
It's not the "you will like baseball" kind of pushing that makes him love it...but a genuine obsession with a bat and a ball since birth. He had an impressive arm at age 2 I must say!
---
My son's first word was HAT (because of his Father's love for a good worn-in baseball cap) and he still doesn't feel complete until one's on his head. His second was Ball (hours of playing catch...or rolling the ball to dad) while I was teaching night hours at Vatterott Colllege no doubt!

---
It took me a minute to get over it....that "ma-ma" wasn't even close to his first word...but I should have known. He sported his first Cubs Jersey (complete with cubs binky) at age 2 weeks.
He was born a fan.
---
Dating Jarom I remember one thing....BASEBALL. He was always a member of the Brigham City Peaches (and countless other leagues) and I spent the majority of our dating life warming the bleachers of some ballpark between smithfield and ogden. He was good. Grand slams to win the game kind of good...and regularly:) He also played college Baseball for Utah State University.
I don't mind him in a good pair of baseball pants either. Not one single bit.
(This still continues. One league ended a month ago...and another starts end of August! We're in it for the long haul:)
---
Marrying him was a package deal: Love him AND Baseball.
We made a deal that we would attend a few major league games a year for the duration of our lives and of course, WRIGLEY FIELD with our sons! He made me keep our deal....even on our first little newleywed vacation for anniversary #1. We spent 2 evenings of our San Diego (beach, sea world, suppose-to-be-romantic) vacation at
Petco Park: Home of the San Diego Padres!
---
I told him we could skip Sea world and attend another game if he bought me a huge blue foam finger. He didn't think I was funny. At all. I still think it's hilarious:):)
---
I did it though...just to see him light up like a kid on Christmas!
Nothing describes their love.
I'm even pretty sure our first baby girl will be named after his ALL TIME favorite player:)
How's that for me being the nicest wife ever?!? Ha.
---
Anyhow---My point.
I have been scrapbooking TIRELESSY for 3.5 months.
Not pictures of my family or child like I need to do desperatly...but a tribute to Jarom's wonderful Grandmother from all 30 of her extended family members. It has been the biggest task I've ever agreed too...and will be bound in a big digital scrapbook and presented to her at Christmas.
In this process I have read over 25 letters written to her....from sons and daughters, to grandchildren, to son-in-laws, etc. They all mention one thing: her love for baseball!
...and that woman knows her stats....let me tell you.
---
You see....Her husband was the main culprit in starting this LOVE that has trickled down through generations. She also became a fan....and you should hear her talk baseball with my husband. SHE DOES NOT miss a game. Her sweet husband passed away a few years ago...and she still is at it! She is appalled when her teams or players are having an Off-day...she knows scores and stats and first picks...it all.
She is the perfect mixture of Sweet and Sass....and I want to be like her.
---
My wonderful Jarom was named after his Grandpa John.
John Jarom Bishop is his full name:)
He inherited his skills as well.
---
My little Jaxson John is also named after them both.
He has a wonderful legacy to follow....and a love for Baseball that will keep me on my toes for years to come.
I've got some work to do...and some things to learn from Grandma Norma...but I'm ready for a lifetime of love for the sport.
Woody_Peaches_Pitcher
(Jarom's Grandpa in Peaches Uniform...at around 80 years old.)
---
Woody_throw_the_ball
---
Woody_Peaches_shirtback
This will so be my husband.
I'll have to convince him he's 80:)
---
What a great Saturday!
Have a wonderful Sunday:)
Me

No comments: